1. There are great rewards in visiting the sick. Prophet Muhammad (Peace and blessings be upon him) has said that whoever visits the sick person in the morning then 70,000 angels shall be invoking mercy of Allah on the visitor and whosoever visits a sick person in the evening the 70,000 angels will make dua for the person for mercy until the morning and he shall also have a garden in Jannah. (Mishkaat)
According to al-Tirmidhi (2008), Prophet Muhammad (Peace and blessings be upon him) said: “Whoever visits a sick person or visits a brother in Islam, a caller cries out to him: ‘May you be happy, may your walking be blessed, and may you occupy a dignified position in Paradise’.”
2. When visiting the sick one should first greet him and then enquire about his health.
3. One should not visit the sick for long (Overstay such visit) (Baihaqi)
4. One should always encourage the sick person and be careful not to speak of things which may cause despair and loss of hope. (Tirmidhi)
5. One should recite the following dua when in the presence of the patient:
Laa ba’ sa thahooran In’shaa’Allah
“Do not be afraid if Allah wills this will be atonement for ones sins.” (Bukhari)
6. And to also make the following dua for the patient: (Repeat it 7 times):
Asalallaahal adheema rabbal arshil adheemi ayyashfeek
“I ask Allah the Great, who is the sustainer of the Great Throne to give you “Shifa”- Cure”.
(At-Tirmidhi, Abu Dawud)
Benefit: Prophet Muhammad (Peace and blessings be upon him) has said that whenever a Muslim visits a Muslim patient and reads the above dua seven times then the patient will definitely recover from his illness except such illness which shall result in death. (Ahmad and Abu Dawood, 3106)
7. If it is possible then one should take a gift for the patient and if need be assist financially, since Prophet Muhammad (Peace and blessings be upon him) has said that the best person is he who benefits mankind.
8. Even when visiting the sick one’s intention should be ONLY to seek the pleasure of Allah as is with ANY good that one does.
9. One should not force the sick person to eat or drink. (Mishkaat)
10. To request the patient to make dua as the dua’s of the sick are readily accepted. (Baihaqi)
11. A sick person’s dua is like that of the angels (Ibn Majah)
12. Whosoever reads the following dua upon seeing another afflicted with sickness or difficulty shall himself be saved from it In’shaa’Allah.
Alhamdulillaahilladhee aafaanee mimmab thlaa ka bihee wa faddwalanee alaa katheerimmimman khalaqa thaf dweela
“All praise is due to Allah who has saved me from that with which He afflicted you and gave me excellence over most of whom He created”. (Mishkaat)
13. The reward for visiting the sick: When a man goes to visit his sick Muslim brother, he walks along a path of Paradise until he sits, and when he sits he is cloaked in mercy. If he comes in the morning, seventy thousand angels pray for him until evening, and if he comes in the evening, seventy thousand angels pray for him until morning.
(At-Tirmidhi, Ibn Majah, Ahmad)
14. Invocations of the terminally ill:
Allaahum-maghfir lee warhamnee wa ‘alhiqnee bir-rafeeqil-‘a’laa.
O Allah, forgive me and have mercy upon me and join me with the highest companions (in Paradise). (Al-Bukhari7/10, Muslim 4/1893)
As Prophet Muhammad (Peace and blessings be upon him) was at his last stages, he dipped his hands in water and wiped his face saying:
Laa ‘ilaaha ‘illallaahu ‘inna lilmawti lasakaraatin.
There is none worthy of worship but Allah, surely death has agonies.
15. Invocation for when tragedy strikes:
‘Innaa lillaahi wa ‘innaa ‘ilayhi raaji’oon, Allaahumma’-jurni fee museebatee wa ‘akhliflee khayran minhaa.
We are from Allah and unto Him we return. O Allah take me out of my plight and bring to me after it something better. (Muslim 2/632)
We pray to Allah to cure the sick amongst us and give us the ability to practice this sunnah of the Holy Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him)… Aameen
Join rafeeqee.com today
Mentoring website: rafeeqee.com
Discussion forum: rafeeqee.com/forum
Islamic Blog: rafeeqee.com/blog
Youtube Channnel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUzid4N7vQdix3RjvdZgLTQ
Tutorial page: https://rafeeqee.com/usertutorial