Ingratitude: A Forbidden Trait for the Believers
Gratitude is one of the noble characteristics of the believers. Its benefits cut across different aspects of our lives! Depressed people are often advised to be grateful and focus more on what they have in life. Apart from the fact that Allah promised to continue to increase his bounties on those who are thankful to him, He also proclaimed his love for them and promised never to punish them; He says
“What would Allah do with punishing you if you thank and believe! Allah is the Thanker, the Knower [An-Nisaa’4:147].
In addition, gratitude is one of the sunnah that is common to all the Prophets! In the Holy Qur’an, Prophet Ibrahim was praised for being a grateful servant
“He was always grateful for Allah’s favours; accordingly, Allah chose him and showed him the right way reported” [An-Nahl 16:121].
On the other hand, ingratitude, also known as ungratefulness, is a highly detestable trait by our Lord who warns us against it because it is a form of arrogance that may lead to transgression. Being ungrateful is not a characteristic of the believing people. You cannot be a true believer if you are ungrateful to Allah and show ingratitude to the people. According to an authentic narration, Allah’s Apostle (PBUH) said :
“Whoever does not thank people has not thanked Allah.” [Abī Dāwūd]
TYPES OF INGRATITUDE
1. Ingratitude to Parents: After Allah’s ordinance on our creation, then comes our parents as the basic reason for our existence. Without them, there cab ne no us. However, many of us are unthankful to them. Especially those of us who still have them alive, we take the blessing of seeking their pleasure for granted. Once upon a time, parents were so precious and highly respected. In today’s world, they are seen as a thorn in our lives. They showed mercy on us, made sacrifices, and went through pain for us to be successful in life. Yet little thanks do we give to them. As part of ways to show gratitude to them is by being dutiful. Respect them, do not shout on them, show them kindness, and help with their needs. Allah equates goodness to parents next to His worship, saying
“And your Lord has decreed that you worship none but Him. And that you be dutiful to your parents [Al-Isra’17:24]
2. Ungratefulness towards Spouses: Many of us these days fail to appreciate our spouses. Whether we realize it or not, marriage is a tough union with imperfect beings. Expressions of gratitude should come from both parties. A man should appreciate his wife for all the time and efforts she put into keeping the house in shape. Similarly, However, the wife to show gratitude to her husband.
According to a Hadith, the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said:
“I was shown Hell and I have never seen anything more terrifying than it. And I saw that the majority of its people are women.”
They said, “Why, O Messenger of Allah?”He said,
“Because of their ingratitude”.
It was said, “Are they ungrateful to Allah?”He said,
“They are ungrateful to their husbands and ungrateful for good treatment. If you are kind to one of them for a lifetime then she sees one undesirable thing in you, she will say, ‘I have never had anything good from you.” [Sahih Al-Bukhari].
A virtuous woman is one who obeys Allah and is thankful to her husband. No matter how small the effort he puts, appreciate it and make dua’ for him.
3. Unthankfulness to those who help us:
A simple life etiquette is that we express thankfulness to those who help us. While kindness does not cost a thing, it befits the one who received a good treat to express gratitude in words and actions. If it’s hard for you to be thankful to people who help you meet your needs, then you’d definitely be ungrateful to the one who ordained that they help you fulfill that need. An expression of gratitude can be as simple as a good word: ‘Thank You’ with a smile. And in a superior form, say a prayer Jazakumullahu khayran — may Allah reward you with good
4. Ingratitude to Allah: And this is the peak of them all, ungratefulness to the Almighty Creator. God fashioned you, provides for you, grants your protection albeit all of these, little thanks do you give in return. If we were to count His favors upon us, we would not be able to estimate it. Man is unjust to himself if he fails to be thankful to his Lord. The gift of life is a great blessing, and the sweetness of faith is the highest honor. So, give thanks to Allah for His blessings upon you and remember Allah is Self-Sufficient but it is you who is in need.
“And indeed, We bestowed upon Luqman Al-Hikmah (wisdom and religious understanding) saying: Give thanks to Allah, and whoever gives thanks to Allah, he gives thanks for himself, and whoever is unthankful, then verily Allah is All-Rich (free of all wants), worthy of all praise [Luqman 31:12]
Gratefulness to Allah revolves around these five things as related by Imam ibn al-Qayyim. They are also known as the pillars of gratitude to Allah:
● Submission of the believer to Allah
● Love of Allah
● Acknowledgment of His favors
● Praising Him for these favorsIn
● Refraining from utilizing the favors in a way displeasing to Allah
WHY YOU SHOULD SHUN INGRATITUDE
Here are a few reasons why unthankfulness should be avoided by a believer.
1. It leads to denial of Allah’s blessings.
2. It is a form of sin tantamount to disbelief (Ungratefulness)
3. Ingratitude leads to the wrath of Allah.
4. Allah detests those who are ungrateful.
5. No one loves the unthankful ones.
6. It sometimes creeps in the form of arrogance leading to pride.
7. The more unappreciative you are, the less benefit you get from people.
These traits should be seriously avoided by Muslims, and it is important that we train our children the ACT OF GRATITUDE . Being grateful also has benefits for our well-being. One of encouraged things for believing people is to give the rights of people to them, it is important to show gratitude to others, Allah Loves those who are grateful without trespassing.
Dear brethren, give thanks to Allah for His blessings and appreciate the people who do good to you. Gratitude is a seed that yields great fruits. Allah loves that you’re thankful and people adore appreciation. Ingratitude on the other end is a scum that everyone detests. Allah dislikes the arrogant and ungrateful ones.
May Allah make us among the grateful, for they are the successful ones.
And we say Jazakhumullah khayran for reading this, kindly share with your friends and family, may Allah grant Barakah in it.